Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The "No" list continues to grow

One week ago, I posted a list of film industry professionals who had publicly stated their thoughts on Roman Polanski, and who did not subscribe to the petition and presumed Hollywood party line calling for his release.

As of this morning, there are 45 names on the list. And that's being pretty strict about keeping to people who work directly on the production films and TV shows: producers, writers, directors, actors, crew. chrissmm's more comprehensive list of public figures is growing at a proportionally similar rate. Meanwhile, Melissa Silverstein at Women & Hollywood has linked to blog posts by women in entertainment, and invites those who don't blog to voice their thoughts in the comments.

When I heard on the news last weekend that Mr. Polanski had been arrested, my immediate thought was "About bloody time." I then foolishly expected to not hear all that much more about it. Sure, I expected some people to wish it hadn't happened, simply because it's inconvenient for them. What I didn't expect was that a whole bunch of them would make a public stand about how shocked and disturbed they are because it's so very wrong.

If that hadn't happened, I'm the first to admit I wouldn't have posted a word on the topic. Why? Because it should not be necessary to explain that I don't think a confessed and convicted felon who skipped the country prior to sentencing should be let off the hook just because.

And that's leaving completely aside the nature of his crime and the apparently desperate need of some people to call it something else.

I truly believe that the people on this list are exceptional only in that they have specifically and publicly spoken on the topic. I truly do not believe for a second that the sentiments expressed in the petition and by certain individuals' public statements are the rule.

I certainly won't claim that the entertainment industry is the shining beacon of virtue in the modern world, but I don't believe it's an actual circle of Hell just yet. Thanks to everyone on the list for helping to demonstrate that.

No comments: