Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Falling In Love Again

Bobbing up briefly from the Tech Week Abyss...

The never-say-die voice had the right idea, even though I didn't get the gig. The audition was fun, I got to play with some neat movement stuff and meet some very cool people, and I didn't even have any trouble getting downtown. (Yay, Chicago snow removal procedures!)

And, as happens over and over, I read through the script and thought, This is the coolest thing I've seen in ages! I wanna do this!

So, of course, I don't get to. And now I'm a bit bummed about something I hadn't even heard of a week ago. This isn't a plea for sympathy or support (not today, anyway), though, just an observation of fact.

Because there's really no other way to go about it. If I don't think any project I put myself out there for is the coolest thing I've seen in ages, and want it down to my toenails, what's the point?

This is, incidentally, the primary reason Gina Holden's blog is linked over to the side there. Not so much just because I'm possibly the biggest Coreen fangirl this side of legal drinking age (but jeez, who wrote that character summary? O.o), and am keen to see where she goes from there. Or even that I'm hellaciously envious of all of it. It's the way she's going for it, with full-bore enthusiasm for every single gig and what's just so giddyingly cool about each one. You want an antidote to actors who moan and groan about the soul-sucking schlock they're forced to lower themselves to (and I'm acquainted with my share!), this lady is it.

And it's a good thing to remember right now, as the Great Big Ball of Operatic Fluff chugs along through tech, with all the inevitable headaches and late nights and "why in the name of all that's holy are we doing this, again?"

I know why. Because there are things about it that are really, really cool. Those things get my head and my heart for all I'm worth, because in a few more days they'll be gone. And the hunt for the next coolest thing I've seen in ages, the next fight for the chance to be a part of it, will be on.

On your marks, get set...

No comments: